Torrents become a CyberGhost Premium Feature

You know it: The largest parts of Internet traffic concern streaming services for music and videos, as well as torrent downloads, in some countries strong enough to even threaten net neutrality by being scapegoats for Internet Service Providers to establish new price models.

In contrast, CyberGhost has become steadily cheaper over the years and still manages to stem all increasing traffic. Unfortunately, a high percentage of free user make extensive use of our Free Service very powerful bandwidth for their torrent downloads, affecting the data throughput of all other users in a serious manner.

popcorn

We never wanted for this happening, but the heavy load torrent users put on the service forces us to pull the ripcord and to re-establish solidarity among all users, instead of letting a few claim it all for themselves.

In short: From now on, CyberGhost blocks the Torrent protocol on all free servers, to normalize traffic once again and to reserve our capacities for those who need a cost-free VPN for anonymous and uncensored surfing.

For subscribers using torrents on most premium servers is still perfectly possible. Only exceptions are servers in the United States, Russia, China and Singapore. For simplicity reasons and a rapid assessment of a single server, the server list in our application includes a yellow exclamation mark next to the name, if the respective server is inaccessible to P2P.

Note: Streaming functionality is not affected by our new torrent policy for free servers. You can still enjoy all your favorite content even with the CyberGhost Free Service.

Thanks everyone for supporting CyberGhost VPN!

About the author

CyberGhost VPN - Oana Ciobotea
CyberGhost VPN - Oana Ciobotea

47 Comments on "Torrents become a CyberGhost Premium Feature"

Guest
Ken
1 month 18 days ago

I just paid the premium plus deal 10.99/month so i can use the countries that dont block P2P right? for exmple if I was using canada and am in the US since the US doesnt allow P2P, So the whole point is that my service provider wont find out about the downloading torrents right or will they?

alexandra
Member
1 month 16 days ago

Hey!

As long as you download torrents using servers in countries where P2P is legal, you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

Guest
Adam
1 month 22 days ago

Can I not torrent if I live in the U.S.? Or does it mean I just can’t use the servers for the U.S.?

alexandra
Member
1 month 21 days ago

Hey,

Torrenting is illegal under US law, so that’s why P2P is blocked on servers located in the States.
If you want to download torrents, you need to choose servers located in countries where P2P is allowed – our server list contains notifiers regarding whether P2P is blocked or not.

Thanks a lot for reaching out to us!

Guest
Mike D
1 month 3 days ago

Torrenting is NOT illegal under US law. Downloading or streaming copyrighted material is what is illegal, regardless of how it’s downloaded or streamed.

alexandra
Member
1 month 2 days ago

Hey Mike,

Yep, you’re right, it’s just that I (like a lot of other ppl) equate torrenting with downloading music, movies etc, so copyrighted material:)

Thanks!

Guest
Kate
4 months 15 days ago

I thought I was using P2P or downloading a torrent, but I’m using free version and it is still working. Isn’t it supposed to be blocked? Maybe what I’m doing isn’t P2P after all? Or does it still work but it is not ‘incognito’ via cyberghost? So confused.

alexandra
Member
4 months 15 days ago

Hey Kate!

P2P/torrenting is indeed blocked on the free version, so there must be a mistake somewhere:)
Maybe you had disconnected from CyberGhost (or had been automatically disconnected – that happens after 3 hours, you can reconnect immediately), maybe you forgot to connect and thought you had (happened to me:D), who knows?
But if somehow you happen to be able to torrent while on the free version though, do let us know please.

Thanks!

Guest
David
4 months 17 days ago

Buyer beware! I’d been using a couple other VPN services, but decided to give CyberGhost a try. I started using a free account around the beginning of this year. Speeds were nothing special and the severely limited available countries put it at the back of my VPN options.

In April, the CyberGhost program offered me a “special account”. I thought this was a discount to get me better features and hook me as a paying customer. It didn’t state the benefits, or that it was only the 2nd step up out of 4 (premium being 3 and premium plus being 4). So I paid for it. (Sucker!) I see absolutely no difference between the free and special accounts features. I still can’t use P2P on any server and only have access to a handful of countries.

A couple weeks after paying for the special account, I was bombarded with the program telling me to upgrade to premium or premium plus plans. The premium plan is over twice as expensive, and the premium plus plan is over 3 times as expensive as some of the other VPN services I’ve been using. These other VPN services offer full speed P2P on all of their servers (including USA and Australia), offer as many or more countries as CyberGhost, and some offer multiple jumps for added security. In my opinion, CyberGhost is nothing more than an expensive work around for geo-blocking. It smells of a money grab which still blocks P2P in the countries I use most (USA and Australia) even with the most expensive premium plus plan. There’s literally dozens of more affordable VPN solutions which offer much better features than CyberGhost. I have no problem with paying a competitive price for a competitive service, but CyberGhost is a joke for the price. :)

alexandra
Member
4 months 17 days ago

Hey David!

We’re sorry you feel this way about our service.

About the special account you first upgraded to: that is our Special Edition package, which only includes the servers in 5 countries (USA, DE, RO, NL, CZ). We have 2 other packages called Premium and Premium Plus respectively, which both include all our 500 servers in 29 countries, the difference between them being that Premium Plus = simultaneous usage on up to 5 devices.
As for P2P being blocked, that is part of our contractual relationship with various data centers. US law does not allow torrenting, which means that if our data center is owned by an American company (with operations in Australia, for example), we cannot enable P2P on the servers hosted therein.

We hope we’ve shed some light on the matter & maybe you’ll consider giving us another try:)

Cheers!

Guest
C
4 months 18 days ago

Hi, I have a special edition offer account.
I see there’s a lot of servers allowing torrent but torrents are only for premium users. So what’s exactly the deal with those accounts against torrents downloads ?
Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english.

alexandra
Member
4 months 17 days ago

Hey!

The Special Edition package that you have only includes the servers in 5 countries (USA, DE, RO, NL, CZ). As per our contracts with US data centers, P2P is blocked on US servers, but you can still use the ones in DE, RO, NL, and CZ for that.
Besides the Special Edition, we have 2 other packages called Premium and Premium Plus respectively, which both include all our 500 servers in 29 countries, meaning more servers with P2P access.

Thanks for reaching out to us!