Apple has recently announced that iOS 11, the latest operating system for mobile phones will introduce a new feature for the Safari web browser called “smart tracking prevention”. Along with it, the tracking prevention option will also be available for Apple’s MacOS High Sierra that will be released on September 25th. If you’re annoyed (or even if you’re not) by all those pop-up ads, this is certainly good news!
Ok, iOS 11 will not block all ads, but here is how it will work:
- The iPhone will detect which first-party cookies are desired by users, and which are set by advertisers. This means that you will continue to see ads, but only coming from websites you visited. Advertisers who use third party cookies won’t be able to track you any longer.
- Third-party cookies will be blocked after the first day and will be deleted from your device after one month. This way, surfing on the web becomes a pleasant and less annoying experience.
Apart from interrupting your web surfing, ads have disadvantages such as:
- making your phone battery run out
- using up our monthly data allotment
- slowing down internet speed